Saturday 12 June 2010

Age is more than a number, apparently

Ah well. At least we've had fun on our date, yesterday.

What happened, you ask? I took her out to dinner and had a few drinks afterwards. I was thinking about going to the cinema, but it turned out she doesn't like movies much.

It was a pleasant evening. We had fun and we had somewhat serious conversation. But I just couldn't figure out what she was thinking; she was giving such ambivalent and unclear signs. Eventually I found out she "doesn't know" how she felt -- not the "I say I don't know but I really mean no" thing, but actually not knowing.

I do like her (and she knows). But the age thing is a bigger obstacle than I first imagined.

She's 18. I'm 27.

Now, I believe that this doesn't have to be a problem. But in this case, I think it is. Don't think me rude if I say this, but I feel she's still halfway into puberty. Which is fine (puberty is where most people find their identity) but doesn't exactly make for a stable relationship with a guy who's (for the most part) out of puberty for nearly a decade.

I think I'm going to go for friendship on this one. She's a nice girl and our conversation went so much smoother without the pressure.

Darn, I'll just have to keep looking for another cute girl. I hope The Powers That Be read this blog still.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

18 is a little young, and not just society says so. I feel like I'm still in puberty!

Dorcha Aingeal said...

I had a friend who was 17 and she broke up with her boyfriend a while back. I asked her why she broke up with him (cause they had been dating for 2 years) she responded 'I never relised how old he was! He's 19' And I was thinking (as a girl with no dating experience at all) how the hell is he old???