Friday 23 June 2006

Honestly, there could be tears

Serenity.

What does that mean to you? What do you envision?

Do you envision yourself like a Buddhist monk, meditating cross-legged in a perfectly silent room, candles and incense burning around you, achieving a higher state of conscienceness and relaxation?

Do you envision a natural paradise; birds singing in tall trees, young monkeys playing and chasing each other around, lions resting in the shades?

Or do you perhaps envision a starship, shaped like an insect, falling to the surface of some planet, spinning out of control, with its crew trying hard to prevent it from crashlanding? Because that is what I envision these days.


The starship, a Firefly class ship called Serenity, and its crew are the subject of the series Firefly and the movie Serenity, created by Joss Whedon. Yes, the one who made the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series.

As you may or may not know, today is Serenity Day. That means we are celebrating this magnificent series and that marvelous movie. Everyone interested is encouraged, no, obliged to buy the movie, convert other people, and generally make yourselves heard. To the public; to the networks that took the series off the air; to everyone listening. Today is Serenity Day. Let's celebrate. Let's buy. Let's show them good things do not need to go to waste; that quality TV series do not need to be cancelled. Join the Browncoats.

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

This whole Firefly business was completely unknown to me a few months back. I had never heard of it, because it never aired in the Netherlands. Serenity, the movie, was released here but I never thought twice about it; campaigning never really took off, I guess. It's odd and kind of embarrassing to think campaigning has such an impact on what I do or do not watch, but I guess that's just the way it is. Luckily, there was the PLB, which brought this whole thing to my attention, and here I am, writing my Serenity blog.

So. What should I write? Hmm...

Recently there have been some great entries concerning Serenity and Firefly (for example: this, that and this) and today will see many more, I'm sure. I'm not sure if I can write an entry that can compare. But I will try!

I can blog about how I can't find Firefly in my country, and how it took me weeks to find out it was never released here and can only be purchased through the internet at ridiculous prices. Or how I rented Serenity, just to be sure I like it when I buy it - and I will buy it, later today. Or I could compare the 'verse to the galaxy far, far away, but it wouldn't be fair. Like comparing apples and oranges.

So I started thinking. What is the first thing I think about, when I think of Serenity? Two things, really - Joss Whedon's sense of humour, and great characters. Well, one of those will have to do, then.

Joss Whedon's sense of humour is great - any of you who have seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, can relate to that. I especially loved Xander's wit and sarcasm:
"I laugh in the face of danger - then hide until it goes away."

It is also very clear in Serenity:
Mal: "We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode. "


But the aforementioned characters - those are the real gems. Of course they would be - it's based on a whole season of Firefly. I haven't seen the series yet, but I am fascinated with the movie nevertheless. All of the characters are great - I think Jayne is really cool - but there's one that really stands out for me.

River.

Yes, the one, the only, River Tam. She's a mystery, an enigma. A seventeen year old girl with a history that is - complicated. I'm trying to keep this spoiler free, so that will have to do.

When I think of River, I see both a scared little girl and a ruthless fighter. I see a girl, lying somewhere in the Serenity, trying to stop the outside world from getting in. I see a warrior with skills that surpass everything anyone in the 'verse has ever seen. I see a little sister to an overly protective brother. I see conflict, lots of conflict. Both inside of her, and because of her, and because of what she knows - or might know.

Like I said, she's an enigma. Both little girl and coldblooded killer. It is that combination that is powerful and yes, it does remind one of Buffy sometimes, but only on a superficial level.

If there's any fighting, you fall down or run away. It's okay to leave them to die.

River's opinions are never explicitly stated in the movie. It is strongly suggested, but never truly stated how she feels about Serenity or its crew. I find this fascinating; after all, she is sort of part of the team, yet independent of it. She might very well make it on her own - or maybe not - but she sticks with a raggedy crew with a dubious reputation.

And she does have arguments with the crewmembers, but not in the usual sense. Jayne wasn't very happy about her being back aboard the ship, for example. Oddly, he never spoke his concerns to her directly. I think maybe, just maybe, Jayne was scared of this girl. Of course he would never admit to that, being all rough and tough, but I think deep down he was really frightened by this girl, who moved with such deadly speed.

And in a way, he would be right. Because she was far from predictable. But that's the fun about her, to us as viewers.

I like River.

I like Serenity. And you will, too - just buy the movie and watch. You will not be disappointed. Trust me.


In the end, there can only be one quote.

I'm a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Oh, if I'd realized it was here too I'd have given Vic this link instead of the other. Oh well. It's still a gorram good blog, wherever it appears!

DragonFang said...

Thanks! ;)

Pinpaks said...

:) I hope you watched the series after this. Firefly is the best, and for a while I fancied there would be more episodes some day, but now I think they could never do it proper justice. The series is like a firefly, now here. now gone. so few episodes, but they sure pack it all in. your writing style is refreshing.wish you had a widget for feeds. or allowed for the post to be read on reader (only a snippet is shown)
Oh, River captivates me too. I love them all.