Wednesday 27 December 2006

Joy to the world

Now that Christmas is over, we can get to the good stuff.

What did you get?

Much has been said about the overwhelming aspects of commerce and its big role during the holiday season. I'll just mention it, and continue to the point I was getting at.

Merry Christmas
Joy to the world
Peace on earth

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing the actual phrases or the order in which they appear in the song, but I hardly know the proper English version.

I was thinking about giving this blog entry a title like "false selfrighteousness", but it wouldn't have meant much to anyone but myself. Instead I chose an ironic part of the aforementioned song. "Joy to the world".

Yes, "joy to the world": joy to the world of haves; misery to the world of the havenots. "Peace on earth" is merely a blurry dream, nearly forgotten after waking up. Whereas both sides during the First World War ceased their fire during Christmas and shared their food, drink and talk, such a thing would be unimaginable in Iraq or Somalia today. Whereas members of several organisations such as the Salvation Army give food and shelter to those who need it most, the majority of the people of the Western world spend their time and money on those who they see often and who hardly need any presents.

Joy to the world. Peace on earth. Sure.

I know I have commited the same sins. I have spent my time with my family and have not invited a poor homeless soul to our table. I have not tried to stop any war in whatever way. But I have been aware of the immoral and unethical way of chosen ignorance and hypocrisy that is this year's Christmas. And that is a start. I hope more people will realize this and start acting in more sincere ways.

A better world starts with me and you.

Happy Holidays.

No comments: